Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Fiction Findings!

               At the start of the semester I had no idea what to expect about EN234 Intro to Fiction. I would soon learn though. Through EN234 I have learned more about fiction then I could every imagine. I found many of the readings that were assigned very interesting and new to my reading list. Many of our readings definitely placed a twist in the average readings any person would complete.

For example I would have never read stories such as "A Rose for Emily", "Metamorphosis", or our classes very first reading " Bluebeard." Each piece of literature was a twist in my mainstream thinking of fiction. Most often I believe people think of happy endings and fairy tales when they hear the word fiction. A person hears fiction and thinks fake or not real. In many cases it can be a super extreme but in others it could almost a person reality.

In the different readings through this midpoint in the EN234 semester I would say the most shocking discovers I have come to find are the large differences in how fiction has been created over the years. Their has been a lot of new readings and the understanding of fictions history that has been very enjoyable and expanded my thinking on the many possibly genres that can fall under fiction.

I would say the most surprising thing learned so far in this semester happened right at the start of the readings assigned in class. The idea of our first readings "Bluebeard" and "A Bloody Chamber" being considered a fairy tale completely blew me away. Everyone knows fairy tales would never consist of such horror and violence. Until a person takes the time to learn and understand the possibilities of fairy tales and fiction they will never know that their understandings of a genre can change in a instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment