Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Symbolism of the MOTH

After reading and discussing "The Moths" by Helena Maria Viramontes in class I came to find the story very interesting. Hearing everyone's view on what the moths released from Abuelita represented really had me thinking. I wondered if the moths represented freedom, releasing of her soul or her soul moving else were to continue life. All I found could be true in some sense as long as you looked back at Abuelita’s life and how it was shown with in the story. The life shown could then be connected to what the moths truly represent.



When thinking of the possibilities of what the moths symbolize I wondered why moths and souls were considered to be connected in some way. I found a moth to be ugly and a pest that flutters around and is attracted to light. I wondered why a butterfly would not be a better way to symbolize the soul being released from Abuelita because of how beautiful a butterfly can be. While thinking of all the creatures and insects that could have been released my mind of course went back to the moth. The ugly insect being released from Abuelita showed a cleansing of the soul. The wrong done with in her life was being released after her death and moving elsewhere. The hate she may have held or the troubles she endured were gone as was her soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment